Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Top 5 Record Labels

Yet another list recommended to my by same friend from last two posts. This was a really interesting one to try and figure out. At first, I thought there was no way I could narrow it down to 5 so I decided to do a Top 10 for this one, but than after coming up with the long list of my favorites, I could only come up with 9. So..........I went ahead and whittled that list down to 5. So here it is, listed of course in no particular order, I am listing the name of the company, the year they formed and by whom (if I was able to find that information), and a short list of some of the better bands from said label.

EPITAPH
Started and owned by Brett Gurewitz in 1981 and based in Hollywood, CA.
Bands include ALL, Bad Religion, The Descendents, The Dwarves, L7, NOFX, The Offspring and Pennywise.

TOUCH AND GO RECORDS
Based in Chicago, Illinois and started in 1979 by Tesco Vee.
Bands include Big Black, Butthole Surfers, The Jesus Lizard, Naked Raygun, The Rollins Band, and Shellac.

FAT WRECK CHORDS
Started by Fat Mike.
Bands on this label include Bracket, The Descendents, Face to Face, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, NOFX, No Use for A Name, Screeching Weasel, and Tilt.

DISCHORD RECORDS
Formed in 1980 in Washington D.C. by Ian MacKaye and Jeff Nelson.
Bands include Dag Nasty, Fugazi, Minor Threat, Rites of Spring and Shudder to Think.

SST RECORDS
Formed in 1978 in Long Beach, California by Greg Ginn.
Bands include Black Flag, Dinosaur Jr, The Minutemen and the Descendents.

HONORABLE MENTION:
LOOKOUT RECORDS
Founded in 1987 by Larry Livermore and David Hayes in Berkeley, CA.
Bands include Operation Ivy, Screeching Weasel, Crimpshrine, Samiam, Green Day and The Donnas.

No comments:

Post a Comment