Monday, December 25, 2006

Music of the Year: 2006

Okay, the title might be a little misleading due to the fact that the post is not about what "I" think is the best music of the year, but rather, the best in music according to Rolling Stone.

The reason I am doing this is because upon reading the end of year issue of Rolling Stone, it made me realize how "out" of the popular music scene I am lately.

First off, out of their list of 100 Best Songs of the Year, I noticed that I have heard of exactly 25 of the artists. Even worse, out of these 100 songs, you know how many I have actually heard? Two. That right, two. Sad, isn't it? Also, out of those 25 artists that I have heard of, that only includes artists that I have just that, heard OF. That doesn't necessarily mean I have ever heard any of their music.

The next section they hit was the year's 50 Top Albums. On this one, I fared a little bit better, but not by much. I have heard OF 19 of the artists. However, out of these 50 albums, I have heard song(s) (could be just one song, could be more, I don't know) off of, once again, two of them.

On a similar note in the same issue of Rolling Stone, there is a list of the 10 Best Movies of 2006. I have heard of half of them but never seen any of them. Not very surprising though since I have not been in the theater at all this year.

So, I felt that was pretty sad. That is how off the pulse of today's music I am these days. I find this sad being that I AM a musician and all.

So the question I have is.... Is it a good thing or a bad thing that I am not "hip" to today's music? Your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment