Tuesday, January 09, 2007

2006: Music of the Year Part Two

Again, this is not what I think is the best music of the year, but what someone else claims is. The last one I did referred to the magazine Rolling Stone's Best Of List. Today's article will be the "other" magazine's list. I am referring to SPIN magazine. This is there list of the 40 Best Albums of 2006. I am basically just going to put the link to their site so you can view the list (here it is) but out of these Top 40 I will list below the artists that I have actually heard of, once again, sadly, to show how off the pulse of modern music I have become.

31. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones. I have heard OF this band but I can not say I have heard any of their music per se.

28. Thome Yorke - The Eraser. Yeah, I know of him, singer for Radiohead. Haven't heard any of his solo stuff. Not that big a Radiohead fan to bother.

25. Outkast - Idlewild. Don't listen to this type of music but have heard of the artist.

22. Sonic Youth - Rather Ripped. I used to be a pretty big fan of this band but over the years I haven't really bothered listening to them. Have not heard any of the songs off of this album.

10. Beck - The Information. I haven't heard any off this album but I never was a really huge fan of his music anyway.

5. My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade. Again, I've heard OF the artist, just never bothered listening to any of their tunes.

2. Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere. Not only have I heard OF this band, but since posting the article about the Rolling Stone list, I have actually heard one of their songs.


So that's it. That is their list and these are the artists I've heard of. 7 of them. 7 out of 40. Less than 20% of the artists on this list have I heard of. That is pretty sad. Oh well, I don't feel too bad about it. Again though...should I?

No comments:

Post a Comment