Wednesday, January 24, 2007

State of the Union 2007

Ok, so I watched the speech last night and thought some of what he said over. This morning I also went out on the internet and read the transcript of the speech. What I am going to do here is point out some highlights of what was said last night and interject with my thoughts on them.


The Economy: Bush said last night about Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security:
"It is our duty to keep them permanently sound."

Keep them permanently sound. I'm not sure exactly what he means by this but yeah, keep the programs themselves, but I say they need to be reformed. As of today, these programs do not work.


Education: Bush basically said he wants to re-authorize the No Child Left Behind Act.


Presently, I have no opinion on this because I do not know enough about this Act to comment.


Health Care: Standard tax deductions for Americans with health insurance. Federal funding to states that come up with ways to provide health care.


Standard tax deduction thing. It's a good start. I would be willing to go along with something like that at this time. Federal funding though, I'm not so sure I can swallow that one.


Immigration: Double the size of border patrol. Create a legal, temporary worker program.


My thoughts on the immigration are far more complicated to put on this little post.


Energy: Invest in new methods of producing ethanol and step up domestic oil production.


I agree. Anything that reduces our dependence on foreign oil I am all for.


War on Terror/Iraq: Deploy 20,000 more troops the bulk of which to secure Baghdad. Increase the size of the Army and Marines by 92,000 over the next 5 years and create a Civilian Reserve Corps.


Totally disagree. We should have never been there. Get us out.


AIDS/Africa: Continue fighting AIDs in Africa and provide $1.2 billion to fight malaria there.


There is an old saying that goes something along the lines of 'you can't help others until you help yourself' or something like that. Basically, it is saying fix your own problems before attempt to fix others. I am all for helping out worthy causing such as this, absolutely. It is something I believe Christ would do. But we need to be spending some money to help out our own people. It makes more sense to help our own because once our problems are figured out, we would be in a better position to help others. I don't have a problem with donating some money to help the effort over there but I really have to ask: Are we (the United States) the ONLY ones donating to this?


Ok, those were the highlights and that's all I have to say......for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment