Sunday, December 09, 2007

Thoughts On A Quote

"What happens inside a human being for an ideology to become more important than a human life?" -- Erwin McManus"
This is a quote from the book I am currently reading, Soul Cravings by Erwin McManus. I'm not sure I understand why when I came across this quote that I found it so compelling and why it hit me so hard.

He says this in a passage where he is discussing a hostage situation in September 2004 in Beslan, Russia where Chechen terrorists took 1300 hostages, the majority of which were children. In any case, after a 3-day standoff between the Chechen terrorists and the Russian security forces, the crisis exploded in gunfire and at the end of it all 186 children died. He was making a point in this specific instance that something about Russian politics is terribly wrong.

How profound though. When you really get down to it, it really seems that this is the case with almost everything wrong in our world.

Politics has gotten ridiculous because everyone is so concerned with getting more power for themselves or their party than for the people they actually represent. Politicians don't care what happens to their constituents, they just want to look good for the press so they can improve their own situation.

Muslim terrorists don't care what happens to the hundreds or perhaps thousands of people that die in the multiple suicide bombings (or for that matter, the suicide bomber himself). They just want to show the world how fanatical they are about their own religious ideology.

These crazy pro-lifers like Operation Rescue don't care about the life of the doctors or doctor's assistants or whoever ends up dying while in an abortion clinic they happen to be in when these crazy idiots blow the place up. They just want people to think that they are right on the abortion issue and everyone else is wrong.

I could continue with more examples but I won't.

The fact is, that it seems to me that in general, people don't CARE about other people. As I conclude all this it seems more like a case of "well, duh!!! how long did it take you to figure that one out Einstein?!?" I dunno, it just seemed to kind of hit me like a ton of bricks when I read that passage.

4 comments:

  1. Well said my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll second Dave! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "These crazy pro-lifers like Operation Rescue don't care about the life of the doctors or doctor's assistants or whoever ends up dying while in an abortion clinic they happen to be in when these crazy idiots blow the place up."

    uhhh otter, when was the last time an abortion clinic was blown up?

    I don't know anything about operation rescue, but I do know that 99.99% of the pro-life folks do not support violence as a way to eliminate prenatal homicide.

    It does make for a nice tale though doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Red, I was only making a point that Muslims radicals are not the only religious extremists that have used violence to further their cause. Sure, maybe there haven't been many acts of violence by pro-lifers reports in the media lately. Maybe that means there haven't been any, maybe there has, who knows.
    I am just using Operation Rescue as a case in point.

    ReplyDelete