Monday, September 22, 2008

Patriotism

Because mine has been put in question by others recently, I thought I would find out what this term really means to see if, in fact, I am not patriotic.

According to Wikipeida (okay, not the best place to get factual information all the time but certainly not the worst) patriotism is the love and/or devotion to one's country. Sometimes also referred to as nationalism.

According to J. Peter Euben in his book Critical Patriotism, it does not "require one to agree with everything this his country does and would actually promote...questioning in a quest to make the country the best it possibly can be."

So, if you follow that logic, I am still patriotic. I don't hate our country. I just hate our government. I would rather see the system fixed then to give up and move to Canada (for example).

No comments:

Post a Comment