Thursday, October 09, 2008

Sounding Off: Initiative 1000

This is one of the initiatives appearing in the 2008 general election in Washington. This measure would allow terminally ill adults that have been predicted to die in 6 months or less to request a lethal overdose of medication to end their life.

Personally, I think I could support the idea of someone who, knowing that they are definitely going to die, has decided to end their life on their own terms.

However, I am against the initiative. I have read the entire text of the measure and I feel that it is too broad and scope and does not leave enough room for strict interpretation of who the related parties are, there are not sufficient provisions to determine if a patient has been pressured into making the decision or not and there is too broad a definition of who determines whether or not a patient is mentally competent.

No comments:

Post a Comment