Friday, November 14, 2008

Why People Hate Christians Part Two

In response to my post, a local blogger stated on his own blog that he thinks most people hate Christians because of their own guilt and insecurity.

People do not hate Christians because they feel "guilty" about their own actions. They hate them because of the behaviors and the attitudes of the Christians they have met in their life.
I hated Christianity for the longest time because of the way I was treated as a young person by the people in a local church's youth group. I was not guilty of my own sin. I hated them because the "Christians" were big jerks!

It is obvious that we can not be EXACTLY like Christ. The idea is that we STRIVE to be MORE Christ-like. If you just going to be a complete butthead toward people that are different than you, you obviously are NOT trying very hard!!!

I am not saying any Christian is better than another. I am saying that some try to be Christ-like and other are just Sunday morning Christians that don't give a rip about other people and just want to look good by going to church.

There is a HUGE difference between condemning bad behavior and defining right and wrong. I actually DID point that out in my post. Jesus did not condemn anyone but the religious leaders. The sinners he treated as friends. Do you remember him coming down on the adultress? Nope.

Another comment he made in his post was that some people hate Christians because their own religion teaches them to do so. Okay, I might give you some slack on that one. The problem is though that this religion, and I know he is talking about Islam, has its share of extremist adherents just like Christianity does. The problem is that these extremists preach hate toward Christians. However.....the teachings of the religion in its "pure" form (could not think of another word) actually stresses that its followers show love and respect toward Jews and Christians. So the problem is not with the religion teaching hate toward Christians, the problem is the followers teaching fellow followers false information....hmmm....a lot like Christianity in some ways.

Anyway, I just thought I would point this out for anyone that was interested. At least someone is bothering to discuss it though.

4 comments:

  1. Perhaps you missed it when you read the Koran but hating and killing Christians and Jews is codified in their holy books.


    Attack on Christianity has been ongoing for 2000 years...Paul before the Lord apprehended him was a persecutor of Christians far worse than the current gay agenda is.

    The agape love of Jesus Christ only dwells in those touched by Him. The untouched are left to on their own and the devises of the god of this world...Lucifer, angel of things dark.

    But like you touch on we must never forget that God so loved the world that he let us hang Him on the tree to pay for all our sins. We need only take His offer and join Him in eternity. Those who do not perceive their own sinful nature may have trouble acknowledging Him and His offer.

    Luke 6
    22Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake.

    23Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets.

    24But woe unto you that are rich! for ye have received your consolation.

    25Woe unto you that are full! for ye shall hunger. Woe unto you that laugh now! for ye shall mourn and weep.

    26Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets.

    27But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,

    28Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So otter, what you are saying is that you are using the actions of one or two people that you met and didn't like speak for all Christianity and all Christians and your opinions about Christians are based on those few people.

    My experience is quite different. Those people I have met in church have been sincere caring and giving people who are not looking to condemn or hate others in the least.

    Rather than getting involved and changing things or changing to a new church to find people more like minded... some prefer to just hate all Christians.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No. That is not what I am saying at all. I only wish it were one or two people. And I'm not saying all of this just based off of one experience that I have had. Heck, I am not even basing it off just my own experiences. I am basing it off conversation after conversation after conversation I have had with people.

    I am glad you have been exposed to people that actually care. Unfortunately, you are in the minority.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Codified in their holy books..?"

    Really?

    What about the part that says, "He who wrongs a Jew or a Christian will have myself as his accuser on the day of judgment."

    Or the one that says, "One who kills a man under covenant will not even smell the fragrance of Paradise."

    Or....."Whoever wrongs one with whom a compact has been made and lays on him a burden beyond his strength, I will be his accuser."

    ReplyDelete