Monday, January 12, 2009

EW's 25 Great Comedies From the Past 25 Years

This is from the newest issue of Entertainment Weekly. I found the article online as well here.
  1. Ghostbusters
  2. National Lampoons Vacation
  3. Beverly Hills Cop
  4. This is Spinal Tap
  5. Office Space
  6. South Park: Bigger, Longer and UncutI don't think this movie really deserves to be on the list. Just my opinion though.
  7. There's Something About Mary
  8. The Big Lebowski I saw it. Wasn't terribly impressed. Decent movie I suppose. Did not find it that funny though.
  9. A Fish Called Wanda
  10. Dazed and Confused This is one of those movies that you either love or you don't. For me..eh..
  11. The 40 Year Old Virgin
  12. When Harry Met Sally
  13. Waiting for Guffman Never saw it
  14. Wedding Crashers Never seen this one either although I had intended to at one time.
  15. Trading Places
  16. Superbad Never saw it
  17. Tropic Thunder I want to see this one too.
  18. Napoleon Dynamite I just don't get it. I did not laugh once at this film. Stupid.
  19. Clueless eh, was okay
  20. Best in Show Never heard of it
  21. Clerks
  22. Old School
  23. Austin Powers
  24. Naked Gun Should have been further up the list
  25. Withnail and I Again, never even heard of it

1 comment:

  1. Napoleon Dynamite is one of my favorite movies. I do suspect that it's appeal is somewhat generational, but you're not much older than me so I'm not sure why the jokes fall flat for you! The humor mostly lies in the quirkiness of moon boots, trapper keepers, school lunches, and typical small town stupidity like the character who wishes he could go back and play in his big high school football game so he tries to get a time machine over the Internet. Things like that are brilliant and classic!

    If you liked This is Spinal Tap, I highly recommend Best in Show, Waiting for Guffman, and A Mighty Wind. These three movies are each in the mockumentary format and done by essentially the same cast as Tap with the addition of the mom from Home Alone, Parker Posey, and a couple others. Best in Show is a mockumentary about show dog trainers, Waiting for Guffman about a still-in-the-closet smalltown gay director who is trying to put on a play for a big New York director so he can get back to Broadway, and finally A Mighty Wind satirizes the '60s folk movement. A Mighty Wind is the least funny of the three, so only watch it if you like the others.

    ReplyDelete