- The Empire Strikes Back (1980) - grossed $209 million (approximately)
- Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) - $209 million
- E.T. The Extra Terrestrial (1982) - $359 million
- Return of the Jedi (1983) - $252 million
- Beverly Hills Cop (1984) - $234 million
- Ghostbusters (1984) - $229 million not far behind the leader that year
- Back to the Future (1985) - $210 million
- Top Gun (1986) - $176 million apparently not as many people in 86 were out watching movies, the top grossing film of the year didn't even top $200 million.
- Three Men and a Bay (1987) - $167 million
- Rain Man (1988) - $172 million
- Batman (1989) - $251 million
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Top Grossing Films of the 1980s (in lieu of an Essentials post)
I had started to do a sequel to my Essential Movies of the 70s with one for the 1980s but after getting about halfway through that decade I realized that it would be near impossible to put together a good list for that decade, there are entirely too many good films that came out in that decade. I might try again with the 1990s and see how that works but for now I am going to list the top grossing films of the 1980s (by year) and add a few comments as I see fit.