Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Quote of the Day

"Why does the Evangelical community seem so preoccupied with pointing out what they perceive to be the sins of others? Why this commitment to the role of morality police, lambasting everyone with their narrow interpretation of Scripture? It seems their selective view of holiness is far more important than how we actually treat our fellow human beings. Maybe if we worked harder on our own lives, focused on how we are treating others, a more holistic holiness could finally exude from our lives."

-- Adele Sakler
Or to put it another way..........
"Judge not that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, Let me take the speck out of your eye when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye."

-- Matthew 7:1-5
Another cool translation of this verse I thought I would share is from The Message translation:
"Don't pick on people, jump on their failure, criticize their faults - unless, of course, you want the same treatment. That critical spirit has a way of boomeranging. It's easy to see a smudge on your neighbor's face and be oblivious to the ugly sneer on your own. Do you have the nerve to say Let me wash your face for you when your own face is distorted by contempt? It's this whole traveling road-show mentality all over again, playing a holier-than-thou part instead of just living your part. Wipe that ugly sneer off your own face, and you might be fit to offer a washcloth to your neighbor."

7 comments:

  1. Or put another way... why do the "others" seem so preoccupied with finding any fault with religion and/or God instead of looking in the mirror and considering for one second that they might be wrong given the fact they have been wrong before...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally steeling those quotes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Red -- Maybe it's just me, but that makes no sense. Would you mind explaining a bit further.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sure... with pleasure dave.

    The "others" as described in the quote are just as concerned or preoccupied (or more so) with finding fault in religion and people of faith than they are in questioning themselves... in fact they are consumed with it... so why is it odd that people of faith might inform others that some of their actions are out of line... or is that action reserved for non-believers only?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Red, it may seem I am preoccupied (or consumed) with finding fault with religion but it is not religion I am (for lack of a betterm term) attacking. It is the people that claim to be followers of Christ and his teachings but do not follow those teachings themselves.

    Or in other words, people that talk the talk but don't walk the walk.

    And for your information, I do symbolically look in the mirror often and often question my own motives and actions.

    Also, I find nothing wrong with informing others that their actions are out of line. I call it like I see it. It is called discernment (or at least I think that is the word I am thinking of).

    And beside the fact, I am not even actually attacking anyone with this post. I am just posting a quote that I read and really liked. Sorry, won't happen again....okay, that is a lie. It probably will.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep in mind Red that I am assuming you are talking about me. If so, no need to candy coat it brother. Just say what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Naw.. I wasn't talking about you specifically otter just the "others" in general as you mentioned in the piece... when I rant to you and dave about the loony left, I am not talking about either of you but the left and/or Democrats in general.

    You and dave are the good guys in my opinion.
    -red

    ReplyDelete