Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Computer Geek?

It became apparent to me the other day while in a monthly review session with my supervisor. Everyone at work seems to think I am some sort of computer geek.

I am a bit surprised by that thought. Just because I am not an idiot and can figure out how to navigate simple computer software that someone SHOWED ME how to navigate they think I am a computer geek.

The truth is if I were a computer geek why would I be working where I am working? Would I not be able to find a better job making more money somewhere else?

Fact of the matter is I am not a computer geek. I have attempted to take computer classes in the past. I have made attempts at reading study guides in an effort to look into the possibility of getting certifications in things like A+ (hardware support) or MCSE (Microsoft Server Administration). I can't do it! I have tried. That stuff is like trying to learn a foreign language or something.

Most of the time in fact, if I have a real problem with my computer at home, I end up having to call a friend to help me with it. Sure there are a few things I can do with the computer myself. Very few. But most things I don't even bother to try and touch because I know I will screw it up worse than it was before.

All kidding aside. I do know a thing or two about computers. My first call center job was tech support for American Online. So I did learn a couple of things. I can write some HTML but I am not that good at it. I can navigate and create a few things in Excel and that sort of thing. So I am not a complete idiot when it comes to computers. Not complete.

I just find it odd that my supervisor thinks I could set some sort of a goal for myself to get into the IT department at work. I do not have the desire, nor the experience, nor the training, nor the ability to do anything like that.

I am not a computer geek. I'm just a plan ole geek. LoL!

3 comments:

  1. I've had people at various jobs assume that I know a lot about computers. They're usually disappointed when I break the news that I'm really not.

    I thought you were against labels Steve? :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Geek" isn't a label when it pertains to Steve ... it's just the truth.

    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave: touche

    Jesica: ptttthhhhttt!!!!!

    ReplyDelete