Monday, April 20, 2009

Genre of the Moment (GOTM): Powerpop

Instead of doing an entirely new list as a sequel to the Music Labels post, I thought it would be somewhat fun to feature a different music genre or sub genre every so often. So here is the first one.

Power pop

Power pop incorporates a combination of strong melodies, vocal harmonies, and prominent guitar riffs while guitar solos are kept to a minimum.

The Beatles are a heavy influence in this genre. They essentially created the model by which most power pop bands follow to this day. Other bands are major influences are The Who and The Kinks.

In fact, Pete Townshend is the musician responsible for coining the term "power pop" in describing the music of The Who.

Some of the more notable power pop bands are the All-American Rejects, Cheap Trick, Fountains of Wayne, Gin Blossoms, The Knack, Ozma, Paramore, The Replacements, The Smithereens, Third Eye Blind, Veruca Salt, and Weezer, among many others.

Personally, this classification does not really help me fully determine what a band sounds like. However, I would have to say it is a better classification than terms like 'alternative' and 'indie rock.' It at least gives me a close idea of the music.

1 comment:

  1. I've always thought of The Who and The Kinks as mod bands, but power pop fits as well.

    I have to admit that the inclusion of Third Eye Blind makes me want to vomit. I cannot stand those guys.

    ReplyDelete