Thursday, May 21, 2009

Is is possible that I could be missing Bush?!?

When I read articles such as the one below, I almost am.

My wife send me this article about a guy that owns a car dealership in Florida. His business is being taken away and given to someone else.
Why? I don't know.
By who? Take a guess.

Here is the article (here is the link to it):

My name is George C. Joseph. I am the sole owner of Sunshine Dodge-Isuzu,
a family owned and operated business in Melbourne, Florida. My family bought and
paid for this automobile franchise 35 years ago in 1974. I am the second
generation to manage this business.
We currently employ 50+ people and before
the economic slowdown we employed over 70 local people. We are active in
the community and the local chamber of commerce. We deal with several dozen
local vendors on a day to day basis and many more during a month. All
depend on our business for part of their livelihood. We are financially
strong with great respect in the market place and community. We have
strong local presence and stability.

I work every day the store is
open, nine to ten hours a day. I know most of our customers and all our
employees. Sunshine Dodge is my life.

On Thursday, May 14,
2009 I was notified that my Dodge franchise, that we purchased, will be taken
away from my family on June 9, 2009 without compensation and given to another
dealer at no cost to them. My new vehicle inventory consists of 125 vehicles
with a financed balance of 3 million dollars. This inventory becomes
impossible to sell with no factory incentives beyond June 9, 2009. Without the
Dodge franchise we can no longer sell a new Dodge as "new," nor will we be able
to do any warranty service work. Additionally, my Dodge parts inventory,
(approximately $300,000.) is virtually worthless without the ability to perform
warranty service. There is no offer from Chrysler to buy back the vehicles
or parts inventory.

Our facility was recently totally renovated at
Chrysler's insistence, incurring a multi-million dollar debt in the form of a
mortgage at Sun Trust Bank.

HOW IN THE UNITED STATES
OF AMERICA CAN THIS HAPPEN?

THIS IS A PRIVATE BUSINESS
NOT A GOVERNMENT ENTITY

This is beyond imagination! My
business is being stolen from me through NO FAULT OF OUR OWN. We did
NOTHING wrong.

This atrocity will most likely force my family into
bankruptcy. This will also cause our 50+ employees to be unemployed. How
will they provide for their families? This is a total economic
disaster.

HOW CAN THIS HAPPEN IN A FREE MARKET ECONOMY IN THE
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA?

I beseech your help, and look forward to
your reply. Thank you.

Sincerely,

George C.
Joseph
President & Owner
Sunshine Dodge-Isuzu



Things like THIS never would have happened under Bush. It is things like THIS that are going on that make me almost miss the guy (among other things which I won't get into now).

The current administration by this act is not only putting 50+ people out of work and taking a business away from someone whose family has owned it for over 30 years, but is also causing this man (and probably some of his employees too) to file for bankruptcy.

Way to go fixing this economic crisis we have going on!!!

I think it is time for a freaking recall. Can we do that?

17 comments:

  1. Wow. That is messed up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These things are heartbreaking but it is really Chrysler/Dodge's fault, not Obama's. Obama is just doing what he can with the extreme desctruction corporate greed has wrought on our country. There are real casualties when CEOs run these massive corporations into the ground. I believe Obama is doing what he feels is the best thing he can do in the situation.

    By the way is there a source to this article or was it a forwarded email or what?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i posted a link to the original email in the post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From what I understand, it is not Chrysler/Dodge that is taking this man's dealership away from him. It is the government.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could be wrong though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found more info. It is Chrysler.

    Check out http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/wayoflife/05/20/aa.dealer.closing.info/ . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good find Scott!

    So it is big business causing the problem.

    I still don't think they have any right to take a man's business away from him and give it to someone else without any compensation. Mr Joseph should definitely take some sort of legal action.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There isn't anything in that article about taking dealerships away and giving them to someone else... just closing dealerships.

    It was under the direction (ownership) of the Obama admin that Chrysler cut dealerships by roughly 1/4 as well as cut their advertising budget in half.

    Mr Joseph can thank the government for their "help".

    ReplyDelete
  9. I missed that last part about a "recall"... wow, you've come a long way daddy-oh.

    My heart soars like a hawk...

    ReplyDelete
  10. But Otter, to be fair and balanced as you know I am, it was Dub-Ya that jumped into the auto business first with the first bailout... "loan".

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is correct. However, to be completely fair to Bush, I can hardly blame him for it. He had gotten so concerned with our foreign affairs that his domestic policy was somewhat lacking. Hmmm...ok, maybe I can blame him. But not completely. He had his mind on other things and probably got talked into that whole thing by Congress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really just find myself liking Obama less and less as the months go by.

    However, I would like it put on record (again) that I did NOT vote for him. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Red said: "There isn't anything in that article about taking dealerships away and giving them to someone else... just closing dealerships."

    It does say that when it says, "There will be deals, but be warned that if those 44,000 aren't sold before June 9, Chrysler will work to redistribute them to other dealers."

    This is what it means to close dealerships according to Chrysler's plan. Their philosophy is that when they close a dealership (revoke the Chrysler franchise) the dealership being closed gets until June 9 to sell any cars they have, and then they are forced to relinquish all the remaining inventory which gets moved to another better-performing Chrysler dealer. Since they are in bankruptcy, the law allows this to happen, not Obama. In contrast it sounds like GM is being much more fair.

    ReplyDelete
  14. scott... the dealerships are closing as part of the deal with the government.

    Chrysler is owned by the government now... Obama is in effect the CEO.

    He could open 1000 new dealerships tomorrow with the money he's throwing around.

    ReplyDelete
  15. GM (government motors) told the closing dealers that they cannot return any inventory OR parts... "eat 'em or sell 'em boys".

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't necessarily have a problem with Chryler taking their "inventory" and giving it to a better performing dealership.

    However, taking the entire dealership away? A dealership that this man's family bought and paid for years ago? That is complete bullshit.

    And if they are going to take away their inventory from the man, if he has already paid for it, they owe him money for it.

    Chrysler should not be allowed to get away with this. But of course our government is not going to do anything about it. As Red said, the government practically owns the company now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey... look at the bright side, we'll all be able to mow our lawns with our new Government-made cars.

    I'm thinking about getting that sporty umbrella attachment and cup holder for my new Pinto.

    ReplyDelete