Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Justice Sotomayer...Oh dear

I have to admit that I am a little nervous about President Obama's first pick for Supreme Court justice, Sonia Sotomayer.

It appears I am not the only one though.  A few other bloggers have sounded off on this lady.

Over at Red S Tater, Red asks a very serious question on his post Very Serious Question about Judicial Nominees.  Simply put, he asks should a who believes that a person's race and background makes them better equipped to make decisions be considered a qualified judicial nominee?  I responded with a big absolutely not!

Over at the NW Republican, there is the post The Sotomayor Pick.  Over there, the writer tells Republican to give Obama a little wiggle room for his Supreme Court nominees but at the same time not to:

"...simply roll over and cave on her either.."

He also discusses the same comments Red spoke about on his post as well as the comments she made regarding making policy as a judge.

The basic premise of his post is summed up here:

"her voting record on the court is not as bad as some.......I am willing to give her a little more latitude than the Democrats gave any of Bush's appointees......"

I can respect that opinion. I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt but she better darn well be ready to atone for some of the statements she has made.

Jim over at Fried Green Onions on the other hand seems to be okay with her.

His post titled GOP Should Back Off On Nominee Who Was Raised Catholic.... warns Republicans who have begun the attack already to be careful. And in his post Like Obama His Supreme Appointee Will Revert to Early Religious Training When Installed states basically that once a Catholic always a Catholic.  I guess he is thinking that she will be more conservative than liberal in her decisions. 

While I can agree that most of the time, a Catholic politician is going to be more conservative, I submit Catholic Exhibit A, Nancy Pelosi and Catholic Exhibit B, John Kerry, as evidence to the contrary.

So after some thought, like I mentioned earlier, I will give her the benefit of the doubt but still, there is something about her that makes me not trust her....hmm...sounds a lot like what I said about Obama during his campaign.

Pay attention people, the next few weeks could have quite an effect on things for the next couple of decades.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure where Jim and others are coming from... politically I suppose, I am coming not from a political opposition but as an American who believes in equality and fairness in the courts... we cannot allow a person to sit on the supreme court who believes that their race gives them superior judgment over other races.... period.

    I don't care if she is the most rightwing person on the planet or what her politics are... her racism and sexism cannot be tolerated- period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true.

    I agree, I don't know where Jim is coming from on this one.

    ReplyDelete