Thursday, June 04, 2009

How To Not Get a College Degree..or..Why I Am Only Partially Educated

I graduated high school in 1990. I was not the best student. Not a valedictorian candidate by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, I barely paid attention in most classes.

However, in August of that year, I started taking college courses.

I started college pursuing a degree in computer science. That only lasted 2 semesters though. Most of my courses in those 2 semesters were general education (English, history, etc..) but I took an introductory course in computer science that 2nd semester and decided that computer science was not my bag.

So I switched my degree to political science/pre-law. Law school. That sounds like a good idea. About 2 semesters later, I took the LSAT (the law school entrance exam) to see how I would do on it once I actually had to take it.

So I did really bad on that test. REALLY bad. Okay. Law school, probably not such a great idea. But I had already taken all of these political science classes so I decided to just stick with that.

Until 1993. My general lack of funds forced me to drop out of college at which point I decided to join the military.

While in the service, I spent almost the entire time traveling. So taking college courses was kind of just not feasible. I did, however, manage to knock out one class in College Biology during my time in the service.

So I got out in 1999 and spent some time in Florida. While there, I enrolled in some courses at Florida State University. However, I left Florida before the classes started.

I ended up in Oklahoma City for a short time during which I took a course at the local community college in audio engineering. Not sure why. Looking back that was kind of a waste of time.

So anyway, since then I have not taken any more classes (unless you count a couple of Bible classes I took via correspondence, not degree seeking classes, so I don't count them).

I keep attempting to go back to school but one way or another life just always seems to get in the way.

So, after close to 20 years since I started college, I have quite a few credits which include the course I originally took, the course I took while in the service, and the training I did in the service that actually counts toward college credit (mostly electronics theory and that sort of stuff). In fact, I have almost enough to get some sort of a degree. Just not sure what in.

I could have a two year degree but there is one class I am lacking in that keeps me from getting a two year. A math class. Yes, all that stands before me and an associates degree is a college algebra course. Which I have been avoiding for....well, almost 20 years. You see, math is not my thing. I am just not good at it.

When I first started college, I was going to take that class and get it out of the way but when I enrolled in it the admissions folks told me I was to take a math assessment in order to get into the class. So I took that test and they told me that because of my score I could not take that class unless I took 2 other "pre-requisite" math courses. Well crap, I don't want to take the ONE math class. Why would I want to take 2 more!!!

So there you have it. That is why I do not have a college degree. I do not have a 2 year because I refuse to take a math class. And I do not have a bachelors because I can't seem to get myself back into school.

Perhaps one day I will get back and finish off my degree. The questions are, however. What do I get my degree in and at this point, is it really necessary? Does it really matter if I have a degree or not?

Who knows? I sure don't.

Anybody have any other college stories they would like to tell?

4 comments:

  1. Scott2:45 PM

    I never liked math either but I know you're a smart guy and could probably get through those classes fine now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. there is a slight possibility of that.

    but that doesn't make we WANT to take it anymore than before. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve been going to college off and on since 1993. I’m about 30 hours away from a journalism degree, but that’s not what I want to do with my life. Unfortunately I do know what I want to do, I just can’t seem to get the scheduling down right so that I can do it.

    I think we’ll both eventually get there Steve…even if it takes forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes. it could happen one of these days.

    ReplyDelete