Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Sequel to Abandoning Social Change

I think I owe it to all of my readers (all 3 of them. lol!!!) to explain why I posted that last article in the original post.

The point I was trying to make (and the point I think Mr Giles was trying to make) is that there are a lot of Christians whose focus is almost exclusively on politics in their life.

I don't think that is a good thing. I am not saying Christians should not vote. Nor am I saying Christians should not be involved in the political process. What I do think is if a person's focus is on politics and not on God or on Jesus, that person's "vision" can become clouded.

Jesus was not a politician. He did not teach politics. The only time I can remember Him even discussing politics is when He told us to pay our taxes. He did not teach politics. He taught love for God and love for other people. Sadly, there is, in my opinion, a severe lack of these in politics.

I do think it is important to vote and to be aware of things going on in the political environment. But I do not think it is a good thing when a person is too focused on it to where it almost becomes another religion to them. That is unhealthy for one's spiritual growth.

I don't think that it is proper for a preacher to state his political views from the pulpit. That, in my opinion, is not his job. However, if one his "flock" were to come to him and ask him what he thought about a particular issue, that is perfectly fine. But no politicking from the pulpit please!!

So, in summation, a Christian should vote. We should vote based on our own beliefs. We should vote based on our own personal morals. We should talk, discuss, debate, etc...political issues with others.

But we should not leave Jesus and His teachings behind and forget about them.

A man can not serve two masters.

6 comments:

  1. Making such a broad statement about Christians is very judgmental... on the part of the pretend pastor wouldn't you say?

    I will point out that if not for their religious beliefs our founding fathers would NOT have created the country we live in today nor the government under which we operate.

    It is because of those Christian beliefs that America exists... politically and otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Giles website Subversive Underground-
    "What is Subversive?

    It’s a systematic overthrow of one system or power by those working from within."

    Gee.. for a guy who's against mixing religion and politics, he sounds pretty political to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think he is referring to the "system" of the Christian Church. The "corporate" church that is.

    "Making such a broad statement about Christians is very judgmental... on the part of the pretend pastor wouldn't you say?"

    I am not sure I understand the question Red. What broad statement about Christians are you referring to?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aha! I see how you are Red. Just posting part of the quote.

    Here is the correct quote:

    "What is Subversise? It's a systematic overthrow of one system or power by those working from within. Jesus said the Kingdom of God was immediately accessible to all who follow him. This is the Gospel message. This is subversive."

    ReplyDelete
  5. and.... ??? That did nothing to change the context of the quote.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh but it did change the context of the quote.

    He is pointing out that the Gospel message WAS and IS a subversive message.

    It was definitely subversive in His day. It got people that believed in it killed on a very frequent basis.

    And again, it is becoming more and more a subversive message in our own day the way.

    ReplyDelete