Wednesday, July 15, 2009

No Friend of the Working Man

I found this Palin quote over at Flopping Aces.

It is a response to the Obama cap and tax plan:

"The Americans hit hardest will be those already struggling to make ends meet. As the president eloquently puts it, their electricity bills will 'necessarily skyrocket.' So much for not raising taxes on anyone making less than $250,000 a year."


Ok, so technically he did not lie. Increasing one's electricity bill, technically, is not raising taxes.

However, the principle of the matter is that this just points out how much a friend of the poor this man isn't.

I take offense to this because I am one of those people Governor Palin (is she still a governor or has she already resigned?) spoke out. I struggle to make ends meet.

But let us look at a hypothetical situation.

Let us say that I am a person that barely makes enough money to live on. I am barely scraping together enough money every month to pay my bills. My electricity bills go up. Technically, at that point, all of my bills are going to go up because the other people whose bills I owe are going to increase their rates because their electricity bills go up.

So what are my options? I can either go out and find a second job. At that point, yes, I will make enough money to keep my head above water and continue supporting my family. Supporting them financially that is. But am I really supporting them? With me (remember hypothetically) away from home longer because I now have a 2nd job because I don't want to be evicted and I don't want my water and power shut off, I never see my kids so they are not spending time with their father and not learning essential things from me so they end up as ill-adjusted citizens. All because my electricity bill went up!

But that is not my only option, my other option is that I can ask for assistance from the government. I can basically get more financial assistance from my state government. So, in essence, I am on welfare. Again, because my electricity bill went up. And the problem is that I will not be able to get off welfare until I somehow score a better paying job which isn't very likely because the job market sucks thanks to the cap and tax plan (among many other things) or when the policies that brought about the cap and tax plan are ended, which isn't very likely. So in reality, I am going to end up on welfare, even though I have a job, because my electricity bill went up. So not only am I working a job AND on welfare but I am probably feeling pretty low about my station in life because I am on welfare.

Granted, there are people out there that have absolutely no pride and find it perfectly okay to live out their entire life on welfare. But I am willing to bet that there is a pretty good percentage of people on welfare but really don't want to be on it and wish something would happen to help them get off of it.

So how, might I ask my friends, is THAT being a friend and supporter of the working man?

I find myself in perfect agreement with Governor Palin on this. We can NOT afford to allow this cap and tax bill to become law. We simply can't.

Pleeeease....write your elected officials and let them know this can not happen. If you don't know who your elected officials are, I have a widget on the side of my blog here (no, not there! over there on the right!) where you can type in your zip code and find out who they are and how you can contact them.

And remember to vote in 2010 for a Congressional takeover!!!

4 comments:

  1. Curt and the crew at Flopping Aces do a fantastic job... one of my favorite places to visit.... besides Otter Limits of course. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the unintended consequences that I think the President is either blind to or just doesn’t want to see. He seems to truly believe that the government can be a force for good in society, and while I agree with him to a point and in theory I think that it is the government’s job to 1) provide for equality under the law, 2) provide for equality of opportunity for all, 3) provide for national security, and 4) provide a safety net to protect the citizenry. I think that Obama sees the government as having a much larger hands-on job than I do. There are things that the government should provide for, but not near as much as some think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. IMHO I do not think that the government should be involved in health care.

    IMHO I do not think that the government should be involved in a hands-on capacity in education.

    The more I ponder on the different political issues of the day, I really feel that a lot of them are best if left up to the states.

    ReplyDelete