Thursday, March 25, 2010

Currently Reading: Countries of the World: Ireland

TITLE: Countries of the World: Ireland

AUTHORS: Anna and Colm McQuinn

YEAR PUBLISHED: 2008

PUBLISHER: Natioinal Geographic











Not a very long book of course. It was only 64 pages long but I think that is because it was originally written for middle school students.

Decent enough read though. Interesting little book of facts and what not.

I went to the library with my kids today and I had originally planned on trying to find a book about Daniel O'Connell (the Liberator of Ireland) but come to find out the Irish history section at the Midwest City branch of the Metropolitan library is kind of....well....pitiful. In fact, in the European history section of the library there were 4 books related to Irish history. Four!! This one. Another really short, similar book (which I also borrowed) titled Ireland: A Portrait of the Country Through Its Festivals and Traditions, another short book related specifically to the Irish Potato Famine, and a larger, more thorough general history of Ireland which I think I have already read before.

In any case, this book is a decent 10-15 minute read if you want a sort of Irish history in 15 minutes or less style lesson.

I guess my search for a book about O'Connell will have to continue elsewhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment