Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Erin Go Blah!

I was thinking of starting off this post with a disclaimer. Something along the lines of if you are offended easily, don't read this post. But once I started putting it together, I thought, to hell with that! If you are the type that gets offended by these type of things easily, STOP READING!!! Get over yourself!

Ok, enough of that.

In general, I like St. Patricks Day. I like celebrating St. Patricks Day. I like it because of what it represents. It is a celebration of the patron saint of Ireland, who brought Christianity to Ireland.

Although it started out as a Christian holiday, it eventually turned into a secular celebration of Irish culture. Again, I like that too. I don't care that it is no longer a Christian holiday. I am all about celebrating Irish culture. I mean I am Irish. I'm all about getting a chance to celebrate my own culture.

However (dot dot dot)

You want to know what I dislike about St. Patricks Day? If not, too bad. LoL!

I might be alone in this...or perhaps I'm not.....

The thing that pisses me off about St. Patricks Day is the extreme commercialization of it. Things like, going to Wal Mart and seeing racks of tee shirts that say 'Irish For the Day' on them. What the hell? That kind of crap almost offends ME!

And things like bars that have nothing to do with Irish culture coming across as Irish pubs but only on that one night of the year.

Things like green beer. Green beer. Sheesh. And the thing with the green anyway. Well that is a tradition I follow myself so the green thing in general doesn't bother me.

Interesting historical fact though, originally, the color associated with St. Patrick was blue. The reason that people started wearing green (which started in the early 17th century) was because, in case you don't know the story, St. Patrick used a shamrock to explain to the Irish pagans the idea of the Holy Trinity so it started with wearing a green shamrock. In the late 18th century, Irish soldiers started wearing green uniforms and that is how the wearing of green originated.

In short, the whole pretending to be Irish because it's cool to do one day of the year just kind of irritates me.

There, I've said my peace. Anybody with me? Or against me?

No comments:

Post a Comment