Sunday, May 23, 2010

English-speaking English Teachers? Proposterous!

Here is an article I found on my Fox New iPhone application:

Arizona Seeks To Reassign Heavily Accented Teachers

Here are a few quotes from the article:
"Teachers who are not fluent in English, have a heavy accent or do not speak grammatically correct will be temporarily reassigned."
I hope they mean temporarily until they learn to speak proper English. Is this really a problem? Do we actually have teachers that can't speak properly?
"As you expect science teachers to know science, math teachers to know math, you expect a teacher who is teaching the kids English to know English..."
I'm flabbergasted that this is even an issue!! I don't think this is such a high expectation we should set in our educators, do you?

"In Creighton's school district, we do have several teachers who do not pass the fluency test."

Holy cow! Seriously?!? Why are they teachers in the first place?!?

I don't know about you guys but I seriously can't believe that the school system in Arizona even hired teachers that can't speak English. I wonder if this is a problem in our state.

Wow. All I can say is...wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment