Saturday, May 15, 2010

Quest for Vinyl

Sadly, as long as I have been a fan of the Descendents (which, by the way, has been since the mid-80s), I have never owned any of their stuff on vinyl.

Last night, I remedied that situation. While Dave and I were killing time before the Stephen Egerton show at The Conservatory last time (which was a fun-filled event in and of itself but that is a topic for a later post) we went into Size Records (which is a pretty cool record shop, I highly suggest you check it out) and I skimmed through all of their vinyl.

At first, I had quite the stack of vinyl in my hands, probably about $200 worth. Then, on my own, I skimmed it down to about $100 worth. Fortunately, Dave was there to talk me down so I only ended up getting 3 records. The first one was a limited edition of Agent Orange's Living in Darkness.

The 2 crown jewels of my purchase, however, as you can probably already guess, are 2 Descendents albums on vinyl.

The first one was Milo Goes To College. This album, which was originally released in 1982 on New Alliance Records. The copy that I have is the re-released SST version (SST purchased New Alliance in 1987).

The lineup on this album are Milo Aukerman on vocals, Tony Lombardo on bass, Frank Navetta on guitar and Bill Stevenson on drums.

My favorite tracks on the album are "Suburban Home" "Marriage" and "Hope."

The second one that I purchased was I Don't Want to Grow Up. Originally released in 1985 (also on New Alliance), this was the first album released since Milo Goes to College.

The only change in lineup from the Milo album is the guitar player, who on this album was Ray Cooper.

My favorite tracks on this album are "I Don't Want to Grow Up" "Pervert" "Silly Girl" and "Good Good Things."

So my new quest is to find vinyl copies of the other Descendents LPs (Enjoy, All, Everything Sucks, and Cool To Be You).

No comments:

Post a Comment