Saturday, May 15, 2010

Top 3 Films: Heath Ledger

It is a real shame that this young man died so early. He did some really great things in his career and could have become so much more.

Here is the list in chronological order:

10 Things I Hate About You (1999)

In this updated Hollywood-ized version of a Shakespeare plays Pat Verona, the lead male character opposite Julia Stiles' Kat Stratford. This was the first film I ever saw Ledger in.

A Knights Tale (2001)

This was the first film where I really noticed Ledger as an actor. This was a really amazing film in which Ledger plays a peasant boy that pretends to be a knight in order to win money in several jousting contests. I especially like how the movie combines fictional characters with actual historical characters like Edward, the Black Prince and Geoffrey Chaucer. If you have never seen this film, I highly suggest picking it up.

The Dark Knight (2008)

By far his greatest film ever. In my opinion, he had some really big shoes to fill in this role as The Joker. In the public's eye because everyone seems to think that Jack Nicholson was the quintessential Joker (not my opinion by the way). In my eye's because we are talking about one of the absolute greatest comic book villains ever. The fact is that he filled the role perfectly. I think he did an amazing job as The Joker. From what I had read, before they began filming this movie, he was given a copy of the graphic novel The Killing Joke as inspiration. He played it to a T. Sad that we'll never get to see him play this role again and in my opinion if they decide to use The Joker in a future Batman movie, they will be making a huge mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment