Monday, June 28, 2010

High Court Decides in Favor of Gun Rights

The U.S. Supreme Court today decided that the 2nd Amendment guarantees the right to bear arms and that it applies to state and local gun control laws, according to an article in The New York Times.

Supreme Court Rules That Gun Rights Apply to Local Laws

Justice Samuel Alito Jr was quoted as saying:
"the right to self-defense protected by the 2nd Amendment is fundamental to the American conception of ordered liberty...the 2nd Amendment must be applied to limit not only federal power but also that of state and local governments......[the decision may] lead to extensive and costly litigation but that is the price of protecting constitutional freedoms..."


However, on the other side of the coin, it does seem kind of odd that the Supreme Court would be deciding against state's rights.

I consider myself very much in favor of the 2nd Amendment and gun rights but I am also in favor of state's rights and in this case the right of the state to create a law restricting gun use. I'm not saying that I would be in favor of such a law. I'm just saying I would be in favor of a state making that law if they so chose to and keeping the federal government out of its business.

No comments:

Post a Comment