Friday, June 25, 2010

The Internet Kill Switch?

This kind of worries me:


The bill being proposed basically gives the President the power to "shut down" the Internet in the event of a cyber attack.

Personally, I don't think this bill will get passed by Congress and technically, I don't think that the current President is crazy enough to try and use it.

One part that the article regarding the bill that really concerns me is where it says:

"the bill would also see the creation of [yet another] new agency within the Department of Homeland Security, the National Center for Cybersecurity and Communications (NCCC). Any private company reliant on the Internet, the telephone system, or any other component of the U.S. 'information infrastructure' would be subject to command by the NCCC and some would be required to engage in information sharing with the agency."
Blockquote
Let's see.......any private company reliant on the internet, the telephone system or any component of the information infrastructure.....that would narrow it down to........uhm.......EVERYONE!!!

I really don't like the idea of some bill coming out saying that any private company would be required to engage in information sharing with some new government agency. What kind of crap is that?!?

Maybe I'm just paranoid due to the fact that I really have not read the bill itself but I certainly don't like what I'm hearing.

What do you guys think?

1 comment:

  1. u da man...when we b goin to lunch...how bout inviting Oklahoma Lefy...bbq of course

    ReplyDelete