Friday, July 02, 2010

Boston Tea Party Update

At the end of a previous post titled Third Party Spotlight: Boston Tea Party, I mentioned that I was going to write their Chairman in regards to the statements on their platform and opening "the borders to trade and travel, loosening citizens and visitors and abolishing the Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Border Patrol agencies."Chairman in regards to the statements on their platform and opening "the borders to trade and travel, loosening citizens and visitors and abolishing the Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Border Patrol agencies."

Here is what I asked him:
"Why do you feel that we should open the borders to all? ..........I just don't feel like it is fiscally responsible to allow anyone and everyone into our homeland."

And here was his response:
"That is because the USA has a welfare problem more than it has an immigration problem. If the incentives (welfare benefits, Social Security, etc.) and legal barriers were removed there wouldn't be nearly as many illegal immigrants as there currently are. People would no longer 'need' to violate the law in order to reap a financial reward."

While I do agree with him that the problem lies with welfare and the abundance of social entitlements in our country, it seems (in my opinion) a little naive to think that the welfare problem is going to be fixed any time soon.

It seems to me that yes, if we "fixed" (or dissolved completely) the social entitlement programs, then the influx of illegal immigration would at least be reduced at a large level so I do agree with him there. I just don't think that this will ever happen in my lifetime or even in my children's lifetime so it seems more feasible that we should fix the illegal immigration problem now at least in the interim until we can fix the corrupted welfare system. Then maybe relax the borders a bit.

But not any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment