Saturday, July 31, 2010

Runoff in the 100th District

The State House race for Oklahoma's 100th legislative district has come down to a runoff between David Looby and Elise Hall.

I really just find it hard to take Ms. Hall seriously. I just find it hard to believe that the voters in the 100th district find her to be a viable candidate.

The strange thing is that Tuesday night she received almost 500 more votes than Looby. The person that took third place, Tim McCoy got 706 votes so it is possibly that if those 700 people that voted for him decide to vote for Looby than he could still win the runoff.

I'm just not sure I understand why people in that district are taking a 21 year old seriously.

Perhaps, all of the people that are voting for her are members of her church, Bethany First Church of the Nazarene. Not knowing how many people attend that church, I can't say whether or not all of her votes came from there or not.

Perhaps she is getting the youth vote since she is so young. But again, without knowing the age range of people that live in the 100th District I can not say for sure.

There is a quote from her website that disturbs (well, disturbs might be too strong a word but it is the best one I can think of right now) me a bit:
"The fact is, we do not need more career politicians or lawyers in our legislature, but businessmen and women like myself who see this role the way the Founding Fathers designed it, as a public servant."


I agree that we don't need career politicians but I don't understand why she is lumping lawyers in with career politicians. And she is insinuating that the Founding Fathers did not want lawyers in the state legislatures and that makes no sense to me. Most of the Founding Fathers WERE LAWYERS!!

Now, having said that I don't think that ALL of our legislators have to be lawyers. It is the fact that she is making lawyers out to be the bad guys that disturbs me.

The fact is, having lawyers in the state legislature is not a bad thing. Legislators are LAW makers. Who better to make laws than those that study the law? LAWYERS!

On other matters, I can appreciate that Elise is staunchly pro-life as I am and the fact that she has the common sense to know that illegal immigrants are criminals.

In the long run, I don't think she is a bad person and probably means well. It just doesn't sit right with me that a 21 year old that has not even graduated college yet is running to be a state legislature. Seems to me that she is too young for this kind of position.

Personally, when I put Elise Hall and her stance on the issues alongside David Looby, Mr. Looby comes out on top.

David Looby is a tax attorney that has started his own law firm here in Oklahoma City in 2007. A business which is still going strong.

I believe that tax reform is a very important issue in our state (and in our country) and that is why I point out the fact that he is a tax attorney. Not only is he a lawyer, a person that studies the law, knows the law, and knows how to make the law better, he is a tax attorney, so he knows the tax laws, and definitely how to make them better because he deals with tax laws every day.

Come August 24th, I highly suggest that vote for David Looby for Oklahoma State Legislature.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:47 PM

    Tim McCoy the third place candidate has endorsed David Looby. David, is a Christian, father, husband and is also totally qualified to legislate. Hall is just a jr. in college. We need all the help we can to get Dave Looby elected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, there is another thing I forgot to mention when comparing these two candidates.

    David Hall is a family man. Elise Hall is a 21 year old year college student.

    David Hall has life experience and in a lot of ways that is more important than political experience.

    ReplyDelete