Friday, August 06, 2010

Sounding Off on Prop 8


Those of you that read my blog pretty regularly might have noticed that I don't really talk much about this whole gay marriage, Proposition 8 thing. To be completely honest it is just not an issue that I concern myself with, politically speaking. The reason is that I don't think it is any of my business what other people do with their lives unless that are negatively affecting someone else's life.

If one guy wants to marry another guy, or one woman wants to marry another woman, it's not hurting me. It doesn't affect my relationship. Personally, I don't think that it's natural but in the grand scheme of things I really don't care one way or another.

The evangelical community might come out against me saying that it's morally wrong and that it's against the Bible but I just casually point out to them that Jesus, the person who people of the Christian faith are supposed to be emulating and acting more like, never...I will say it again NEVER, said anything negative about homosexuals. So it seems to me that if Jesus didn't preach out against it, it is not something I need to concern myself with.

And don't give me the whole, the Old Testament forbids it line because the Old Testament also forbids the eating of pork and I'm pretty sure most of you coming down theologically on homosexuals eat bacon for breakfast. No double standard here please.

And if it is none of my business what these people do with their lives, it certainly is not the government's business either.

An article that I recently found on Real Clear Politics sums it up pretty good:


Here are some excerpts from that article that I would like to highlight:
"Imagine if the government had no interest in the definition of marriage......

I believe your private relationship are none of my business. And without any government role in the institution, it wouldn't be the business of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, either...

...We have two activist groups trying to force their own ethical construction of marriage on the rest of us. And to enforce it, they have been using the power of the state and the other using the judiciary...

If marriage were a private concern, U.S. District Chief Judge Vaughn Walker would not have ruled that California's Proposition 8 violated the Constitution's guarantees of equal protection and due process, because Proposition 8 would not have existed....

In my world, the answer is: Who cares? Is there any other personal relationship that is defined by government?"

Take a case like what happened with Proposition 8 as an example. If government would stick to its constitutional mandates, there would never be a legal issue on who could and who could not marry. California would never have wasted millions of dollars of the taxpayers money on Proposition 8 and continued taxpayer revenue would not have to have been wasted getting a Federal judge involved in the matter. It was a big waste of money if you ask me.

All because the government can not mind its own business and stick to the things it is supposed to be doing and staying out of people's personal lives (again, unless what that person is doing hurts someone else).

If the idea of a gay or lesbian couple getting married offends you.....ignore it. Turn off the TV, turn the page of the newspaper or the magazine you are reading. In short, mind your own damn business!!!

Do I think the 9th Circuit's ruling on Proposition 8 was a good thing? No. Why? Because it never should have gotten that far in the first place.

The government once again sticking its nose where it doesn't belong....what the government does best.




No comments:

Post a Comment