Sunday, January 02, 2011

Top 5 Albums of 2010

Me and Dave have been talking about doing this for the last month and it looks like he beat me to it over at his blog.

Here are my Top 5 Albums of 2010, listed in chronological order by release date:

1. This Addiction
Released in February by Alkaline Trio.
Like Dave, I had listened to a few things by them here or there and did not really become a giant fan until this year. Although I do not consider This Addiction to be their greatest album, this album definitely sits toward the top.

2. 7 Degrees of Stephen Egerton
Released in May by Stephen Egerton.
Music written by one of the greatest punk rock guitarists of all time. Check.
Songs sung by some of the greatest batch of singers you could ever imagine. Check.
With one song sung by Descendents band mate Milo Aukerman and another sung by former All band mate Scott Reynolds, how could this not be one of the best albums of 2010? What? Oh that's right, it has to be!

3. The Dissent of Man
Released in September by Bad Religion.
Certainly not my favorite Bad Religion album and probably when it all comes down to it not one of their best but when compared to all the other albums released this year, it is certainly among the tops.
Here is a review of the album that I did here on Otter Limits last month.

4. Come Around Sundown
Released in October by Kings of Leon.
I did a review of this album here on Otter Limits as well.

5. Self Absorbed
Released in October by Miracle Max.
This did not make the list because this Seattle-based band Miracle Max consists of my former Otisburg band mate Scott Shipp, although that fact of course is more likely to convince me to listen to the band.
This album made this list because it is in fact the best pop punk album released in 2010.
I have read other reviews of this album that have compared them to other bands but I personally think that these guys stand apart from most other pop punk bands. I expect to see a lot of good things come from this band and wish them all the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment