Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Currently Reading: Flash - Rebirth


TITLE: Flash:Rebirth
AUTHOR: Geoff Johns
PUBLISHER: DC Comics
YEAR PUBLISHED: 2009-2010

This trade paperback was originally published as a 6 issue series that ran from April 2009 to February 2010.

It was written by Geoff Johns (who also wrote Green Lantern: Rebirth and the Blackest Night miniseries, among many other comics) and illustrated by Ethan Van Sciver.

It follows the events of the Final Crisis series where the Silver Age Flash (Barry Allen) returns from the dead (who, in case you didn't know, died during the Crisis on Infinite Earths storyline).

I liked the story and I really liked the inclusion of all of the men that carried the Flash mantle (Jay Gerrick, Barry Allen, Wally West and Bart Allen). It also included the 2nd Reverse Flash (Eobard Thawne, aka Professor Zoom).

One thing I realized after reading this trade paperback is that, personally, I prefer the Wally West Flash than the Barry Allen Flash. Not to say that I don't like the Barry Allen Flash. I mean, for all intents and purposes, Barry is the person that put Flash on the map and the person that first got me interested in reading the Flash comics. I just happen to prefer West over Allen. I have not started reading the new Flash series with Barry taking the mantle of the Flash back over from West but I bought a few of them and I'll see what I think of Allen taking over after reading them.

Whether or not you are a fan of The Flash, if you have not read this story, you really should go check it out.

Dave did a review of this TPB over at his blog back in August.

1 comment:

  1. This graphic novel actually made me like the Flash (all of them) a lot more. It also made me a lot less squeamish about the return of Barry Allen. His death in Crisis on Infinite Earths was of monumental importance to the DC universe and it was about the only thing that had not been undone. Thankfully it was Geoff Johns behind the pen because I honestly can’t think of anyone else who could have pulled this off.

    ReplyDelete