Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Currently Reading: Superman Earth One

TITLE: Superman Earth One

AUTHOR: J. Michael Straczynski

YEAR PUBLISHED: 2010

PUBLISHER: DC Comics


I saw this Superman reboot last week at my local comic book store and the artwork in it looked interesting and I'm always in the mood for a good character reboot. Plus, I really liked the work that Straczynski did on The Amazing Spider-Man a few years back so I picked it up and thought I'd give it a try.

This one was originally released in October 2010 and written, of course, by Babylon 5 creator J. Michael Straczynski. It was illustrated by Shane Davis, who has done work on such DC comics such as Action Comics, Batman, Nightwing, Robin and Wonder Woman, among others.

So I read it a few days ago....

I have to say that it is very well written, not much surprise there. The artwork, which is what prompted me to take a 2nd glance at it in the first place, is great.

The story....well.....it is interesting. For lack of a better way to describe it...personally, it is the strangest Superman reboot I have ever read. First off, the story is about a very young Clark Kent/Superman. But that isn't what makes it strange.

Here is a very brief synopsis. An alien race that used to be at war with Krypton and, in fact, was the cause of the destruction of Krypton, finds out that the last son of Krypton was rocketed to earth so they decide to come down to Earth and issue an ultimatum: either the last son of Krypton turns himself over to them so they can kill him or they destroy the entire planet.

I won't say that I don't like the story. It is interesting. I will probably read it again soon. I think the main problem of another Superman reboot is that it does not really measure up to the mother of all Superman reboots. The 1986 John Byrne reboot, Superman: The Man of Steel.

So I would suggest you go ahead and read it for yourselves and determine whether or not you like it. As I said before, it is very well written and the artwork is cool so that alone makes it worth at least one reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment