Thursday, April 28, 2011

Open Mouth, Insert Foot

Quoting Oklahoma State Legislature Representative Sally Kern:
"minorities earn less than white people because they don't work as hard and have less initiative.....a lot of people of color....didn't study hard because they said the government would take care of them..."
This comes from an article I read on the Huffington Post today:
Sally Kern: Minorities Earn Less Because They Don't Work As Hard

These remarks came from a speech she was making about a proposed amendment for the Oklahoma Constitution that would effectively forbid affirmative action, that is, would make it against the law to give preferential treatment to someone based on their color, sex, etc...and would apply to employment and education.

Personally, I am in favor of this law. I think people should be hired based on their merit, not on their race. However, I in no way condone Representative Kern's remarks. They are just.....wow...just wow. I would not be at all amazed if these remarks lose her another election.....at least I hope they do.

1 comment:

  1. I really do not like her. Or let me put it this way since I've never met the woman and thus have no way of knowing if I'd like her as a person or not, I don't like what she has to say or the policies that she promotes.

    And I HIGHLY doubt that these remarks will cost her re-election.

    ReplyDelete