Sunday, May 08, 2011

Currently Reading: Infinite Crisis

TITLE: Infinite Crisis

AUTHOR: Geoff Johns (illustrated by Phil Jimenez and George Perez)

PUBLISHER: DC Comics

YEAR PUBLISHED: 2008

Actually, I'm not "currently" reading this one, I just finished reading it a few minutes ago.

Anyway, this trade paperback is a collection of the Infinite Crisis limited series that was published by DC Comics in 2008. It is sort of a sequel to the limited series from 1985 titled Crisis on Infinite Earths.



It basically un-does everything that happened in Crisis on Infinite Earths.

The artwork in it is pretty cool. It is co-illustrated by the original artist for Crisis on Infinite Earth's George Perez.

The writing in it is pretty good. No big surprise considering it is written by Geoff Johns.

Overall, it is a good read. The only problem I found with it is that it jumps around too much and it is easy to get confused as to what is actually going on if you aren't paying close enough attention.

In the DC Universe, this limited series is followed by the 52 limited series, which is followed by Countdown to Final Crisis, which is also followed by Final Crisis (which will be my next read, 52 and Countdown I just found and read a few synopsis of on the Internet because I don't feel like going out and buying them).


1 comment:

  1. I read Final Crisis before I read 52 and I kind of regret it. I actually read Final Crisis twice and still felt like I was missing something. Both 52 and Countdown to Final Crisis are available through the Pioneer Library System and are worth reading (probably not buying though). I’d also suggest reading Booster Gold: 52 Pick Up as well. These three really explain what happened to the DCU after Infinite Crisis.

    And you’re right…a lot of what IC has done is undo COIE, but not totally. The primary Earth (Earth 0 I think is what it is called) is still the Earth that was created at the end of COIE that is a mixture of the old Earth 1, Earth 2, Earth 4, Earth S, and one other that I’m forgetting. But much of the Silver Age origins have been returned (sort of…the new origins are based strongly on the Silver Age but not exact copies). Also the multiverse is limited to 52 Earths and the Anti-Matter universe, so it is limited in scope. In a lot of ways I think they took the best from the Silver Age and combined it with the best of the post-COIE era stuff to build the new DCU.

    ReplyDelete