Thursday, August 02, 2012

There Is Another Choice

It may or may not come as a surprise that I am not endorsing the Republican candidate for U.S. House of Representatives in Oklahoma’s 5th District.

If you remember, in 2010, I was originally endorsing Independent candidate Dave White for Oklahoma’s 5th Congressional seat. After he dropped out of the race, my support went to the Libertarian Party’s candidate, Clark Duffe.

The point is that I could not, if being honest with myself, endorse the Republican candidate, James Lankford, for Congress.

Fast forward 2 years later. I have become even more active in the Oklahoma Republican Party since then. I have met the man personally. I have had several conversations with him via e-mail on various issues. Even after all that, I simply cannot give my endorsement to him this time either. It’s not that I don’t like the man personally. As a person, he seems like a decent enough fellow. But politically speaking, he and I just do not see eye to eye on things. That being said, if he is elected again, I will continue to hold civil conversations with him but I just can’t throw my support behind him.

However, I also cannot endorse his Democratic opponent, Tom Guild. I have met Tom Guild several times. I have had conversation with him as well on various issues. I even interviewed him for this blog.
I can’t seem to find that article on this blog though. I don’t remember deleting it. I can’t even imagine why I would have deleted it if I did. It just seems to have disappeared from the site. I find this very strange. But I digress. My point is that I can’t endorse him either. Again, nice enough guy, I just don’t believe in the things he stands for.

Fortunately there are two other options. Two independent candidates.

The first one is Robert T. Murphy. I have not been able to scrounge up much information about his campaign. What I have found out about him, I found on an old website he had up when he ran for the District 44 seat in the Oklahoma House of Representatives. According to that site, he was born and raised in Detroit, Michigan and is a former United States Marine. He is pro-choice and supports same-sex marriage. On the brighter side, he is opposed to the war on drugs and imminent domain. Here is the site if you choose to go read more about him.

The second independent candidate, and my personal choice for Oklahoma’s 5th District, is Pat Martin.

Pat works for a software company in Edmond and lives in Jones. He is a former member of the Republican Party and now is running under the banner of the Modern Whig Party. Of course, in Oklahoma, due to its restrictive ballot access laws, has to run as an Independent. Why he is no longer a Republican, I do not know. Perhaps I will find out that information as I learn more about him.

According to an article that he wrote on his website, Pat Martin for Congress in 2012, he states that he feels the federal government is not managed properly and its only accomplishment has been its own overreaching power.

To understand more about Pat Martin and his candidacy for Congress, you need to understand more about the political party whose precepts he supports.

The Modern Whig Party follows 6 central tenets. They are:
1.     Fiscal Responsibility. Simple idea. Don’t spend more money than you take in and spend your money responsibly.
2.     Energy Independence. End dependence on foreign oil. Use domestic energy sources. Develop viable alternate energy sources.
3.     Education & Scientific Advancement. Emphasize science and math in schools so that American can once again be competitive in the world market.
4.     States’ Rights. Allow states to determine its course of action based on local values.
5.     Social Progression. The government should refrain from legislating morality.
6.     Veterans Affairs. We should take care of the well-being of our military families and veterans.

You can read more about the Modern Whig Party at the website at www.modernwhig.org.

Personally, I do have a few reservations about some of the beliefs of this party. However, among all of the candidates that are running for Oklahoma’s 5th Congressional District, Pat seems the most likely to get my endorsement and my support.

I suggest you go to his website and his Facebook page and learn more about him and where he stands. I plan to learn more about him too. Here are the links to his sites:

Pat Martin for Congress in 2012
Pat Martin for Congress Facebook page

Good luck Pat!


No comments:

Post a Comment