Thursday, September 20, 2012

A Place At the Table


Is there a place for libertarians at the GOP table?

Yesterday, I wrote about how fed up I am with the Republican Party in the article, aptly titled, “Fed Up With the GOP.” I discussed how I am frustrated with the national and state Republican parties. Mostly, I talked about the GOP choice for President in Mitt Romney and my lack of interest in his campaign.

However, the 2012 Presidential Election is only part of the story. If the GOP choice in presidential candidate was the only issue causing me to be aggravated with the party, then I might as well just call myself a perennial whiner. When is the last time the GOP had a good Republican candidate? McCain? No. Bush? No. Bob Dole? No.

Truth be told, my exasperation with the Oklahoma State GOP have only a little bit to do with this election’s choice of Presidential candidate.  There is a lot more going on than I have chosen to discuss here. There are things going on behind closed doors that have upset me about the party.  One example that I will discuss is the “old guard” Republican’s support of sorta Republican candidate Tim Rhodes for Oklahoma County Court Clerk.

Those of you that read this blog regularly will know that I wrote several articles about Tim Rhodes and his opponent, a true patriot and true Republican, Charles Key.

His loss to the RINO Tim Rhodes stung quite a bit and that sting further solidified the dissatisfaction that I already had with the Party to begin with.

The rest of the story, for my own reasons, I will keep to myself.

But I digress….

In his article, “Why I Am a Republican,” the writer of Capitalist Sooner states that he sees:
“the Libertarian Party as our long lost GOP brothers who just need to be welcomed home properly. They are part of us. We should reach out to them and prepare a place for them, not fight with them.”

If this was the attitude of most of the OK GOP, I would have more hope for the Party. If this idea was being espoused by the “old guard” Republicans, I would feel better about trying to change things from within.

The problem is that this idea of libertarians being part of the GOP and needing to reach out to them is an idea of the minority. There are only a handful of people that really believe this. So if these people somehow wake up the rest of the party and move the Republican Party toward a more libertarian persuasion, then I present a warm kudos to them.  Unfortunately, and this is just my own opinion, I don’t really see this happening. The tide of government in general is being led, by both parties, to a path of big government intervention into every facet of our lives and nanny-state politics. The public debt is bigger than it has ever been. Personal liberty is at an all-time low with issues like indefinite detention to American citizens and continued stripping of our constitutional rights happening on both sides of the aisle.

This is not something that is happening to our country just because we have a Democratic President. This is happening because the Republicans that are in power in the U.S. House of Representatives are just as pro-big government as their Democratic counterparts. They have done nothing to stop the abuses of government. They have done nothing to call President Obama out on his overuse of Executive Orders. Hell, they didn’t do anything at all when President Bush did the same thing.

Our Party is just as guilty as the other.

The Republican Party has no intentions of trying to move itself toward more libertarian ideals and I honestly just don’t see it happening any time soon, if at all. This saddens me. I really would like to see the Republican Party become the party of liberty. The Republican Party is the party the freed the slaves for Pete’s sake! What has happened to it? Why has this party turned in such a direction that it can barely be distinguished from the Democratic Party except on issues such as abortion and same-sex marriage?

So for now and for the foreseeable future, I do not see a place at the table for libertarians in the GOP. Ron Paul certainly tried to get a chair pushed in there but he was thwarted by the efforts of the establishment. He was not even allowed to speak at their convention. For now, I think the libertarians are going to have to settle for setting up their own table and trying to get their message out by other means.

I hope I am wrong and I hope that people like the writer of Capitalist Sooner increase in rank and number. Only time will tell.


1 comment:

  1. I've just downloaded iStripper, and now I enjoy having the sexiest virtual strippers on my taskbar.

    ReplyDelete