Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Fed Up With The GOP

The National and Oklahoma State GOP has done nothing but frustrate me over the course of the past year.

This is a party that has done nothing but disregard its own rules and keep those that strive for real change out of office and out of their party.

I have gone back and forth inside my mind on whether or not I really belong in this party or not. to help out this discussion in my head, I went back to a few of my blog posts on the subject of why I am a Republican in the first place.

As I wrote in Why An Elephant in March of this year, I am a Republican because I believe in their principles. Limited government. Individual liberty. Personal moral responsibility. The idea that the government that governs less, governs best.

I am a Republican because I agree with the ideals of the Republican Party more often than I am opposed to them and because I agree with the ideals of the Republican Party more often than I agree with the ideals of the Democratic Party.

The problem is that with the current Republican Party, both at the national and the Oklahoma state level, the GOP in practice is not the GOP in theory.

The current GOP is NOT the party of liberty. It is NOT the party of limited government.

This theme was made even more apparent with the nomination of Mitt Romney as the party's presidential nominee. I listened to Mitt Romney speak. I read everything I could find about Mitt Romney and his ideas. I really wanted to like Mitt Romney. The fact is that I cannot, in good conscience, support or endorse or even vote for a candidate like Mitt Romney. He is not a candidate that, in my opinion, espouses the ideals of the Republican Party. He is a candidate that espouses the current theme of the Republican Party and that my friends is just something that I cannot support.

I am not leaving the party, per se. For now, I am going to remain registered as a Republican because I believe that there is still hope for some of them and there are groups out there trying to reel the Republican Party backs to its roots here in Oklahoma and I commend their efforts. I will not, however, be supporting their candidate for President and I will no longer go out of my way to be a mouth piece, so to speak, for the Republican Party.

Until the Republican Party returns to being the party of liberty for real, instead of just giving the cause of liberty lip-service, I will not endorse the Party itself, nor will I be giving the Party any positive "free press" like I have in the past.

In fact, as far as the Presidential election goes, I have chosen to leave that part of my ballot blank this year. I will not vote for the incumbent President, who has taken our country down a road that it will take us decades to recover from and I will not vote for the Republican candidate, who is not much different from the incumbent himself.

As far as endorsing a candidate, I can do that. Even though I cannot vote for the man come November because of Oklahoma's rigid ballot access laws, I fully endorse and support the Libertarian Party's nominee, Gary Johnson for President.

So as I said, I am still a Republican by party affiliation and as far as voter registration goes but that is about as far as it goes.

I am libertarian in principle, Republican by registration.

I hope you all will understand.

2 comments:

  1. And you are supporting the GOP candidate for Oklahoma County Sheriff?

    With a statement like you just made, you are not helping his candidacy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest I don't think it will hurt his campaign much at all because the State Party has shown little to no support of their candidate for Sheriff as it is. In fact, I will bet you dollars to pesos that the old guard Republicans in Oklahoma County support John Whetsel just as they supported Tim Rhodes for Court Clerk.

    I support Darrell Sorrels for Oklahoma County Sheriff because he is a true Republican and a person that stands up for true Republican ideals.

    ReplyDelete