Monday, October 08, 2012

Why Save PBS?


In the grand scheme of things, private/federal funding of public broadcasting like PBS and NPR might not be a constitutionally-mandated function of the federal government but....

Afghanistan and Iraq are wars that were never constitutionally declared by Congress.   

The Patriot Act is unconstitutional.

The indefinite detention of American citizens as described in the NDAA is unconstitutional.

The abundance of President-issued Executive Orders in the last 2 decades is unconstitutional.

So when it comes down to it, even though the funding of public broadcasting is unconstitutional, I would rather spend a few cents (in comparison) to keep Sesame Street going than spend trillions of dollars on undeclared wars and stripping the country's citizens of their liberty.

I can think of worse things to do with our money.  What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say funding public broadcasting is unconstitutional, otherwise I agree 10000000000000000%. I'm not a constitutional scholar though so...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just installed iStripper, so I can watch the hottest virtual strippers on my desktop.

    ReplyDelete