Monday, November 12, 2012

Movie Review: Battlestar Galactica

Technically, this was not a movie. Technically, it was a miniseries. But a 3-hour miniseries? Come on folks, that's a movie!

Anyway, this movie was aired on the Sci Fi Channel in December 2003. It was directed by Michael Rymer and written by Ronald D. Moore and Glen Larson.

It was based on, and essentially a reboot of, the television series of the same name that aired in the late 1970s. I vaguely remember watching the original series but not enough that much of it stuck. I remember some of the characters names and I remember the Cylons and I remember that Lorne Greene was in it. Beyond that, I don't remember hardly anything about it.

Based on the ratings and the fact that it attracted over 4 million viewers, this movie led to a new television series of the same name being made. The series ran for 4 seasons and lasted from October 2004 - March 2009. The series itself spawned a spin-off prequel series called Caprica and has also spawned a new prequel online series called Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome. There are also rumors about a planned, Bryan Singer-directed feature film.

As for the movie, the part of Commander Adama (who was played by Lorne Greene in the 70s show) was played by Edward James Olmos. The part of Starbuck was played by Katee Sackhoff, who has made a few cameo appearances in my favorite show, Big Bang Theory. If you know anything about the 70s version, you know that Starbuck was originally a male played by Dirk Benedict.

Personally, I liked it. Like I said, I don't remember much about the original series but I don't think you necessarily have to have watched the original series to enjoy this one. The storyline is good and the special effects are pretty decent (having been done by the same company that did the special effects for Firefly, they can't be all bad). I would not say that the acting was top notch or first class or anything like that but the actors did their job and played their parts well.

If the intention of the movie was to gear people up for a television series and make them want to be interested in that television series, then this movie did its job, at least for me. I look forward to watching the rest of the series.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed the original series as a kid.

    My favorite Dirk Benedict moment was actually on The A-Team. There was an episode where the team went to Universal Studios and at one point someone in a Cylon walked by him. He held up his hand and looked like he was about to say something like "don't I know you?" That clip was eventually put in the opening credits of the show. It still cracks me up to this day.

    ReplyDelete