Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Coming Soon in 2013

Here's a list of movies that are hitting the big screen in 2013. Keep in mind, as I have said before, that this list is by no means meant to be a comprehensive list but it meant to be a list of movies that have caught my eye.

JANUARY

Gangster Squad
Action crime film set in the 1940s/50s starring John Brolin, Ryan Gosling, Sean Penn, Nick Nolte, Robert Patrick, and many others. Probably won't be watching this one in the theater but I'll definitely catch it when it comes to DVD.

Stand Up Guys
Another crime film, although this one is a comedy, this one stars Al Pacino who, after being released from prison, meets up with former partner, Christopher Walken, who wants to kill him. Again, probably won't see it in the theater but will see it. I can't miss a film that teams Pacino and Walken together.

FEBRUARY

A Good Day to Die Hard
A lot of people have said they are getting sick of Die Hard movies and wish Bruce Willis would hang it up. Not me. I love these films. I still remember seeing the second and third ones in the theater. This one takes place in Russia. Not sure whether or not I'll see this one in the theater or not.

MARCH

Oz: The Great and Powerful
The idea of Sam Raimi directing a prequel to the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz is interesting to me. Not sure if I would have cast James Franco as the part of the Wizard and that is kind of a turn off with this movie but the inclusion of Bruce Campbell tips the scales a bit. This will be a DVD watcher though in any case.

G.I. Joe: Retaliation
I've been looking forward to this one for a while. Although I'm not terribly happy about the exclusion of Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and ultimately the exclusion of the Cobra Commander character, I'm looking forward to seeing some of the other characters that I used to read about when I read the comics back in the day. Characters like Roadblock (who will be played by Dwayne Johnson), Flint, Firefly (played by Ray Stevenson), among others. I'm going to see this one in the theater if at all possible.

MAY

Iron Man 3
No explanation needed. Robert Downey, Jr, the perfect casting decision for Tony Stark, the return of Don Cheadle as Rhodey/War Machine (although I still prefer Terrance Howard in the role), and the additions of Guy Pearce as the crazy scientist Aldrich Killian and Ben Kingsley as the Mandarin, one of Iron Man's most notable villains. Can't really go wrong with a Marvel Comics movie. Definitely a theater movie.

Star Trek Into Darkness
Don't really need an explanation here either. The 2009 Star Trek movie was amazing. I'm looking forward to seeing where they take this reboot. Hoping to see this one in the theater.

The Hangover Part 3
Although there is little chance I will go see this in the theater, I'm still looking forward to seeing the final installment of The Hangover franchise. It stars all the same folks from the previous Hangover films, even Ken Jeong as Leslie Chow, and from what I have read they gang returns to Las Vegas.

JUNE

Man of Steel
For me, probably the most anticipated film of the year, the reboot of the Superman saga. It stars Henry Cavill as Clark Kent/Superman. I'm not sure about this guy but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Heck, I wasn't so sure about Christian Bale when I heard he was going to portray Bruce Wayne/Batman in Batman Begins but I was proven wrong on that one. I can be proven wrong again. It also stars Amy Adams as Lois Lang (not sure about this one either), Russell Crowe as Jor-El, Laurence Fishburne as Perry White, Kevin Costner as Jonathan Kent (I can totally see this), and Diane Lane as Martha Kent. Another reason I'm looking forward to this film is I am looking forward to seeing this is because it is produced by Batman-director Christopher Nolan and I am looking forward to seeing his and Zack Snyder's (the director) interpretation of one my favorite Superman villains, General Zod, I'm hoping this movie does a better job with him than the Superman 2 version. Absolutely, most definitely a trip to the theater on this one.

Monsters University
Either a trip to the theater with the littles or a trip to the Redbox for the DVD, this sequel to Monsters Inc is definitely going to get watched by my family.

World War Z
I don't really see this as a theater movie for me but it does seem interesting enough. This one is a post-apocalyptic zombie film starred Brad Pitt as a guy trying to find a cure for the zombie "disease."

JULY

Despicable Me 2
Another one of those that might end up as a trip to the movies with the littles or wait until DVD, I could go either way with it. We all really like the first one. Steve Carrell returns to do the voice of Gru. This time, Al Pacino, comes to the film to play Gru's nemesis.

The Lone Ranger
For me, probably the 2nd most anticipated film of the year. Not because of the casting which includes Armie Hammer (whoever that is) in the title role and Johnne Depp as Tonto. Not because it is being produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, who has produced some really great films. And not even because of the director, Gore Verbenski, who got his start in directing by directing music videos for Bad Religion. Mostly, I've just always been a fan of the Lone Ranger. I even liked that early 80s Lone Ranger movie and I have really liked the Lone Ranger comic books that are somewhat recent. Pretty sure I'll be going to the theater.

R.I.P.D.
Ryan Reynolds stars in this movie about a police department comprised of the undead. Also stars Jeff Bridges, Kevin Bacon (yes, another movie to use for the 6 Degrees to Kevin Bacon game), and Mary-Louise Parker. More than likely a DVD movie.

The Wolverine
Another highly anticipated movie for 2013. Hugh Jackman returns for the sequel to the Wolverine Origin movie. The basis for the story in this film is the 1982 Wolverine limited series that was written by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller and portrays Logan's adventures in Japan. More than likely will be in the theater for this one.

The Smurfs 2
Definitely a DVD film. Liked the first one but not well enough to go to the theater for it.

SEPTEMBER

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones in 3D
Joey and I will be going to the theater for this one.

OCTOBER

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith in 3D
We will be going to see this one too.

Sin City: A Dame To Kill For
Another installment of the Sin City film series co-directed by Frank Miller and Robert Rodriguez, this one features the return of Marv, played by Mickey Rourke and Nancy Callahan, played by Jessica Alba. I'm hoping to see this one in the theater.

NOVEMBER

Thor: The Dark World
I haven't heard too much about what is going on with this film but it's a Marvel Comics movie and the first one was great so I'll definitely be seeing this one in the theater. Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Anthony Hopkins and Stellan Skarsgard return in this sequel, as does Tom Hiddleston as Loki and Ray Stevenson as Volstagg. An addition to the cast this time is Christopher Eccleston as Malekith who, if anybody knows their Thor comics trivia, is the ruler of the Dark Elves. Pretty sure it's a theater movie.

Hunger Games: Catching Fire
I liked the first one and I want to see this one but as far as theater vs DVD, I could go either way.

DECEMBER

The Muppets 2
Pretty sure it's a DVD movie but I'm a Muppet fan so I'm somewhat looking forward to seeing it.

Jack Ryan
With the exception of Ben Affleck playing the character in The Sum of All Fears, I have enjoyed all of the "Jack Ryan" movies (Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, Clear & Present Danger). I'm guessing that this is a prequel to the Harrison Ford Ryan movies due to their choice of Chris Pine in the lead role. That is, unless this is a reboot. In any case, I have not read a whole lot about it but I still want to see it because Tom Clancy books make for some pretty decent films.

Well, that is it for 2013 coming attractions. See you at the movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment