Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Quote of the Day (3.27.13)

I don't chime in on this particular topic [gay marriage] very often but here is a quote I read this morning from Michigan's U.S. Representative Justin Amash.

"My view has always been that government should not be in the business of defining or redefining marriage...I see it as a private issue...I view government's involvement in marriage as a threat to religious liberty. No government - and certainly not the federal government - should be defining what constitutes a sacred union."

The more I read about this guy, the more I like him. He is described as a libertarian Republican (I like that) and was first elected to Congress in 2010.

He is opposed to Obamacare because he does not think health insurance should be mandatory. His ideas for health insurance reform include allowing insurance companies to sell their products across state lines. He considers Obamacare to one of the many actions that are an overreach of the federal government's powers.

He opposes further restrictions on gun ownership and is a staunch supporter of the 2nd Amendment.

He is in favor of local control over education (Really like this!)

He supports decreasing spending in the U.S. military budget because he feels there is too much waste in the Department of Defense (I totally agree).

I will be keeping an eye on this guy.



No comments:

Post a Comment